Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Finnish T-34s

 

Completed tanks with extra turrets

I've completed the T-34s for my Finnish force. One of things I like about the Finns is you can easily use the same force for all three periods. Extra turrets were used, allowing be to field a variety of options:

  • 1x T-34/76 in EW
  • 2-3x T-34/76 in MW
  • 3x T-34/76 or 85 in LW
  • 1x T-34/85 HQ in LW
Inspiration for camo scheme

I used the above image as the inspiration for my camo scheme. The camo was done with Washable White (AK751). Snow effects on the tracks were done with AK8011. 


I decided not to build the proper Finnish fenders or headlights, but I did make a few modifications. 

Turret after rough texture has been added

This first was to create a rough, cast texture on the turrets. This was done by dabbing on plastic cement in little dots over the area and then stabbing at it with a stiff bristle brush. Make sure to use a brush that you don't care too much about for this (or maybe one you actually hate).

 

Before the white camo was applied. The T34/85 on the right had has addition grab handles added along the side and back of the hull.

The second bit I added was to add wire grab handles. I followed a procedure pretty close to this tutorial. I used 26 Gauge/.40mm floral wire. It comes with some sort of green coating on it that seems to take paint a little better than bare wire. 

Details of HQ tank. Many extra grab handles along the sides. The saw was removed.

Close up showing weathering on lower hull and tracks.

Close up of rear details. Mud and show added to lower hull and rear fenders. Good few of the grab handles added to top rear.

T-34/76 Platoon for MW or LW. You can also run a single tank in EW.

T-34/85 Platoon for LW.

HQ Unit for LW.

All the different winter camo schemes so far.



No comments:

Post a Comment