Monday, May 25, 2020

Finnish Fokker CX

In anticipation of Battlefronts new MW  book for Finnish forces I've been slowing building up a Finnish Army. To kick things off, I painted up a pair of Fokker CX biplanes.



Battlefronts resin airplanes have always been frustraiting to assemble. It gets even worse with biplanes. Trying to align all the metal support struts for the wings and landing gears was particularly tedious. I ended up using a tiny piece of green stuff, rather than superglue for many of these. I found this gave me the working time and tackiness I was looking for.

I also tried a new camo technique on these. The black camo was applied using two passes of Nuln Oil over the green base. The theory is that this will allow a subtle shading effect to show through.

Other lesson learned: If you are going point yellow, paint it white first! I should know this my now, but I tried to mask and apply the yellow directly onto the camo scheme underneath. 

There were several other frustration this one:
1) barrel of rear MG broke off on one plane.
2) masking tape pealing off the paint on the upper wings. I was able to reapply the paint. This was my fault. I should have given the undercoat more time to dry.
3) One of the upper wings was accidentally set down on a dirty surface while still moist with sealant.
4) I nearly sealed one of the upper wings before realizeing I hadn't cleaned up with pin wash.
Overall, I felt like I was in a hurry to get these done for some reason. Need to slow down and just enjoy the process next time.

I may add scenic bases at some point. I'd like to do a few test bases first and figure out what the whole force will look like. They may need another coat of flat coat too...

These snow bases actually belong to my West German Helicopters.









I'm still not sure if I like the black or white background better. Here's some white.





No comments:

Post a Comment