Friday, March 19, 2021

Finnish Armored Cars


 Latest addition to the Finns are these armored cars. I like the look of the BA-6 a little more over the BA-10. I decided to make a mixed platoon. If I ever get to play another game some day, I suppose they'll just all use the rules for the BA-10.  

 


 I took inspiration for this camo scheme from several images I found around the web. I'm pretty sure these are actually Soviet BA-10s, but I like the camo scheme. 

These were given an overall basecoat of green, followed by an application of AK's Washable White with an airbrush. If I were going to do this again, I would probably do another coat or two. You may not be able to tell from these pictures, but these are not very "white". I tried to wear down the Washable White with water, but I believe I let it dry for two long. I also found the paint easily wore off the metal parts, leaving exposed pewter. I covered it up with more white and moved on.

The green camo was applied with over the white wash. In real life I assume this would have been places where the white was not painted on. Next was a gloss coat, decals, and another gloss coat.


The right-side spare tire is missing on the BA-10. I filled in the gap with a little putty during assembly.

Final steps were a dark grey wash for panel lines. Some light brown earth color was added to the lower hull, fenders and wheels. Washable White was added around the tires and wiped away before it could dry, leaving the effect of snow stuck in the tire treads.

The BA-10 is the only one with a radio antenna. I also added an extra metal hull MG.

Overall, I things these came out just OK. Not by best work, but still looks OK. If I were going to try these camo scheme again, I might add more coats of white, like I mentioned earlier, or just paint on the white with a brush, leaving the green lines.


No comments:

Post a Comment